Friday, September 5, 2008

Mt. St. Helens

Chris and I got the opportunity in August to hike up Mt. St. Helen's with our friends, Joel & April. I don't think we even imagined in our wildest dreams how difficult this hike would be. We were on the mountain hiking for 13 hours! We went up for 8 hours and down for 5, and we never even made it to the top. We gave up with one mile to go, it was a good hour hike left through sand and ash. One of the hardest parts. Yes, you can say we were way out of shape. I will try and explain all these pictures.

We hiked for 2 miles in hiking trails, after the trails were some serious rock climbing, the rock climbing was my favorite part. I felt a little like spiderman as I scaled from one rock to the other. When April talked us into the hike, we had no idea that this was what we would be doing. I am thinking we climbed rock for about a mile and a half, but this took the longest -- hours!
We swore the whole way down that we would never attempt this, but we have come to our senses, we are going to get in better shape and attempt it again next summer, I want to look inside the crater of Mt. St. Helen's!
Chris resting

Water break for Tessa


April scaling the sand and ash with her hiking sticks

This is the view at 6 in the morning from the parking lot and starting point of the hike



More rocks to climb


Mt. Hood off in the distance

Mt. Adams off in the distance

No comments: